Thursday, December 20, 2007

furniture

after having lunch with my mom and sister, we were on our way home.
with all the traffic and construction going on, she passed the exit we needed to take on the freeway. this caused us to pass by a furniture store.
my mom's been wanting to buy a new dining table, so we decided to go in and take a look.

we ended up near the back of the store looking at one she liked. as we were discussing what we liked/didn't like about it, these two men walked up to look at the same table. i'm almost sure they were a couple. for some reason i got a little nervous, which i'm sure is because i'm stuck in the closet and totally paranoid!
i know it sounds ridiculous, but i was thinking, "can they tell i'm gay?...is their gaydar going off?"
lol.
actually, it makes me laugh now. the closet sure is making me kinda crazy. hahaha.

well, anyway, i think another reason i was nervous is because i wasn't sure if my mom would start acting differently.
i didn't know if she would react to them in anyway. i'm sure she noticed them, seeing as how we both looking at the same table, but i'm not sure if she realized they were a couple or not.
they finally moved on to the next area.
my mom didn't seem to react at all, which i think is a good thing.
this could also mean that she didn't realize they were a couple...but who knows?

i've never really been in a situation like this with either of my parents (other than television), so i'm not really sure how they react to people who are gay. when watching tv and a gay character comes on, they don't really react differently, which is also a good thing.
although, i must admit, i do become extremely paranoid.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr X, I have been through the same situation with my Mom. I grew up in a single parent household, and I also was the only child. Most of the time I would go with my Mom to all the stores, furniture, clothing, department stores and I would feel the same paranoia that you feel when I saw two guys together. I will tell you that most people that I come out to can not believe I am gay,I am really into sports, I know how to work on cars, and for the most part I am what you would call macho. As much as I hate labels some people show it and some just don't, that is what makes us special. What's funny is, if those two guys are a couple changes are that they were not going to come to you and out you, but it is interesting specially living in the conservative (or backwards) state of Texas, I am starting to see more and more couples shopping and sooner or later, like it or not, our parents will have to understand that gay couples are part of life. We are all here for you if you need us, don't make yourself crazy over the little stuff. Have a great weekend
BTW I have left a few post so I will start calling myself Mr Smith

Mr. X said...

thanks, mr smith!
:)

K said...

For whatever reason, whenever I am home and watching the TV...my mom always seems to be in the kitchen when "something" or someone gay appears on the TV. It always freaks me out because I never know whether to change the channel really quickly or just continue watching it like it is nothing out of the ordinary. I usually just keep it on...because I feel like if I change the channel quickly,, it would be kinda obvious...ya know?

Anyways...awkward moments like that are never fun....so I know what you are talking about when you said you got nervous.